Outdoor Arts research into audiences
This report provides an overview of the research undertaken into audiences for the outdoor arts sector (OA) as part of Audience Finder. The Independent Street Arts Network (ISAN) has been our main partner for this work and has acted as an adviser, interpreter and disseminator of the project.
The design of the research was formed in consultation with ISAN in order to ensure that the research identified a number of issues of critical importance to the development of audiences and of the sector. It prioritised the following research questions:
- How far does outdoor arts reach audiences other arts do not?
- What are the implications for audience development?
- What improvements would help to increase engagement and public support?
- What is the economic impact of outdoor arts?
- What are the implications of paid for models?
- What are the intrinsic and instrumental benefits?
- To what degree is the quality of the artistic experience critical to these outcomes?