1. What are your digital skills needs? There are many aspects of ‘digital’ that your organisation may feel it needs to know about but not all of them are important to you achieving your goals. Heritage organisations often feel under pressure to use the latest digital technology, but this can lead to missing important knowledge … Read more
Resources tagged with digital tools
1. Environmental impact assessments and your organisation It is essential that organisations measure, plan and minimise activity that might have a negative impact on the environment. Socio-economic activities have already created enormous environmental imbalances and population growth continues to contribute towards the depletion of natural resources. This has led to: Global warming. Climate change. Loss of biodiversity. Ocean acidification. … Read more
What implications and opportunities should we consider when using 3D scanning or printing to create 3D digital models from our collections?
1. Opportunities and challenges in using 3D technology Creating 3D models of cultural artefacts can help to foster learning and provide new ways of engaging with heritage. The process can also offer access to resources previously denied to audiences and can help preserve fragile items. Essentially there are two approaches to creating three dimensional assets: … Read more
1. The benefits of bilingualism As the range of people working in, and engaging with, your organisation becomes more diverse, you will likely have bilingual and multilingual employees, volunteers and service users (these are your audience, visitors and/or customers). You may work in a context where there is more than one official language and therefore … Read more
1. Introduction Content comes in various forms, on various platforms, in various styles. You might want to film a video documenting the architecture of a certain listed building. Or maybe you want to write a post on social media explaining the resurgence of a certain species of butterfly. Or perhaps you want to put together … Read more
As a medium-sized organisation with a valuable heritage archive, and possible brand identity too, how do you go about planning for the digitisation of your content? This guide seeks to offer some practical advice, points for consideration, and signpost some really informative resources to get you started. 1. The best place to start The motivation … Read more
Digitisation serves a range of purposes and offers many benefits for heritage archives. As a small organisation you may be wondering how you might plan and prepare for digitisation. Here we offer a concise guide on how to get started and what to consider. Where is the best place to start? Over recent months and … Read more
This recording has English subtitles and Welsh closed captions. Simply click on the closed captions symbol CC on the video below to select the Welsh captions. This webinar is 1 hour and 17 minutes in length and has subtitles. This video was produced as part of the Digital Heritage Lab ― a digital skills development … Read more
This webinar recording is 44 minutes in length. This video was produced as part of the Digital Heritage Lab ― a digital skills development programme for small to medium-sized heritage organisations in the UK and was funded by The National Lottery Heritage Fund as part of the Digital Skills for Heritage initiative.
This recording has English subtitles and Welsh closed captions. Simply click on the closed captions symbol CC on the video below to select the Welsh captions. This recording is 1 hour 19 minutes in length. This webinar was produced as part of the Digital Heritage Lab ― a digital skills development programme for small to medium sized … Read more