What is benchmarking between arts organisations, and why is it useful for arts marketers?
This guide and case study addresses the question of how your own organisation’s arts marketing situation measures up against those of your peers. It addresses what kind of benchmark is useful – such as budget, return on investment, email open rates, size of database – and suggests how you would approach getting those benchmarks. The presentation was given at the AMA Museums and Galleries Marketing Day, in the context of the ADUK benchmarking project for museums.
10 Step Guide to benchmarking
STEP 1 - Why do you want to benchmark?
• Internal advocacy
• External advocacy
• Informing strategic decisions
• Checking how well you are doing
• Identifying areas that may need investigation
STEP 2: Who do you want to benchmark with?
• Similar scale of operation
• Similar art form
• Building-based or touring
• Similar geographical catchment
• Similar audience profile
• Work with a group of no less than 3 and no more than a dozen. Start small and work up.