How to build a website
This guide to building a website. It asks why build a website and explores buying traffic, tone of voice, search engine optimization using cookies to differentiate new customers from returning customers and changing content,
Big Picture: What a Web Site Does
Big Picture #1:
A Web site must do at least one of two things, but probably both:
- Turn a stranger into a friend, and a friend into a customer.
- Talk in a tone of voice that persuades people to believe the story you’re telling.
Big Picture #2:
A Web site can cause only four things to happen in the moments after someone sees it:
- She clicks and goes somewhere else you want her to go.
- She clicks and gives you permission to follow up by email or phone.
- She clicks and buys something.
- She tells a friend, either by clicking or by blogging or phoning or talking.
If your site is attempting to do more than this, you’re wasting time and money and, more important, focus.