Cityread London is an annual celebration of literature that aims to bring reading to life for the whole capital. Each April, Cityread asks Londoners and visitors to pick up the same book and read it together. A month-long programme of book groups, film screenings and other events takes place across London. It is the only programme that involves all 33 London library services. This case study describes the processes involved in organising this event.
- To raise the profile of libraries in the media
- To promote library events and services
- To ‘bring reading to life’, fostering a love of literature and reading for pleasure
- To develop partnerships between libraries and other cultural, commercial, academic and heritage organisations
- To act as a ‘gateway’ for library audiences to other cultural and heritage organisations
- To build community cohesion
- To explore and celebrate London’s heritage and history