Google Analytics health check
This resource, written by Mia Ridge in collaboration with Culture24, describes how to optimise your organisation’s Google Analytics account. It is aimed at staff that work on websites, or in public engagement or marketing. It does not assume any technical skills.
Google Analytics (GA) is a free tool for recording information about visitors and actions on your website or mobile application. Once the Google Analytics 'tracking code' has been added to your website, you can learn more about where your visitors came from and what they do on your site.
Following these steps will help you get more accurate and more useful analytics information by ensuring that Google Analytics is set up correctly and will give you a basic understanding of how Analytics works. This guide is tailored for cultural institutions.
Key learning outcomes
By consulting this resource you will be able to review and optimise key settings in your GA account. Specifically, you will learn how to:
- Check that you have the latest version of the GA code installed
- Create a backup copy of your GA site View (Profile)
- Filter out visits from your organisation (‘internal traffic’)
- Reduce duplicate data by removing GA’s case sensitivity
- Group webmail referrers together
- Track searches on your site
- Understand which basic segments you should add
- Track marketing and social media campaigns
- Track downloads and outbound links from your site.