Birmingham Contemporary Music Group (BCMG) is one of Europe’s leading ensembles – performing new and 20th century music, and regularly commissioning new works from living composers from the UK and abroad. Over 20 years ago the BCMG launched its ‘Sound Investment’ scheme that allows people to invest in the commissioning costs of new work. Since 1991 £300,000 has been raised supporting over 65 Sound Investment premieres. This case study describes the process and benefits of participating in the Sound Investment scheme.
- Raise new funds for commissioning new works from composers
- Provide a secure base to commission further ahead and further afield
- Develop an engaged audience for new work
- Strengthen relationships between composers, performers, audiences
- Create a family of advocates for BCMG and the idea of new music