Collaborative digital marketing for cultural tourism
The website creativetourist.com began as a collaborative digital marketing campaign for the Manchester Museums Consortium - nine of the large museums and galleries in Manchester city centre and The Quays. It now averages 50,000 unique hits a month from a highly engaged and loyal cultural readership, and has broadened its remit to promote cultural activities across the city and the North. This case study describes how the creation of this site helped to develop joint marketing and partnership working between the cultural and tourism sector aimed at the cultural tourist; culturally motivated visitors looking for memorable cultural experiences.
- To change perceptions of Manchester (and latterly the North) as viable and vital cultural destinations.
- To progress our understanding of digital marketing, tapping into the worlds of Web 2.0 and social media (in their infancy at that time) in order to engage with culturally motivated, geographically dispersed markets.
- To build long term partnerships within the cultural sector and with the tourism sector.
- Encourage partnership working across different cultural organisations.
- To generate increased visitors to Manchester.
Browse by smart tagsCampaign Collaboration Cultural tourism Digital Digital marketing Museum Museums Partnership Tourism Tourists
Resource type: Case studies | Published: 2013