Chapter shares the results of its business membership scheme. From creation to promotion, discover top tips for a successful scheme.
Chapter Clwb was set up two years ago to encourage businesses to use Chapter.
We had worked for five years before that on securing sponsorship. I spoke to lots of companies that didn't have a lot of money but would benefit from working with Chapter.
We wanted to create a way for them to work with us. We also wanted to increase venue hire, cafe use and attendance at artistic events.
We created Chapter Clwb to develop both income and audiences.
For £250 a year businesses receive the standard package, which provides the following benefits:
- 25% discount on hires spaces (includes a serving of complimentary tea and coffee)
- 2 staff discount cards that offer concessionary prices on theatre and cinema tickets and 10% off food and drink in the Caffi Bar
- Invitations to Clwb networking and business events as well as the opportunity to attend special events such as gallery previews and film premieres
- Advertising opportunities on Chapter material
There is also the opportunity to upgrade the package to include:
- Further staff discount cards at an additional cost
- Basic hospitality package at a cost of £250 - includes room hire, catering and a block booking of cinema tickets (price based on 10 people with each additional person priced at £10/head*)
- Staff, customer and client workshop opportunities with Chapter's resident companies including animation, dance and photography
- Gallery walks and talks - private tours of the latest gallery exhibitions from one of our gallery Live Guides
In its first year Chapter Clwb raised just over £6,000 in subscription fees. A wide range of businesses signed up, from accountants and lawyers to media companies. We’re now working towards a target of £10,000.
The Clwb spent a further £3,500 in the Caffi Bar, which we tracked through their discount cards. Many Clwb members were new to Chapter so that was a valuable increase in Caffi Bar takings.
We’ve seen less impact on ticket sales but businesses are now engaging with Chapter in different ways. We’re now working on new ways to track the impact of Clwb promotion on venue hire.
Several Clwb members have also gone on to support Chapter in other ways. Lloyds has sponsored our Cinema programme notes. One of the partners of Capital Law has made a significant donation. Arup has done free surveys of the Chapter site to help with our lease.