This report evaluates the impact of Bookbuzz a project funded by the Booktrust. Launched in 2012, this programme provides a book for Year 7 students soon after their transition from primary to secondary school at a crucial time when formative attitudes towards reading develop.
Schools are encouraged to use Bookbuzz as an opportunity to:
- focus on reading for pleasure;
- develop students’ abilities to choose books; and
- develop a whole school reading culture.
Each Bookbuzz school receives:
- a book and bookmark for every participating student to keep;
- a set of the Bookbuzz books for their school library;
- access to a website packed with a wealth of information and resources; and
- a kit to support whole school reading for pleasure including an extra staff set of the Bookbuzz books to support teachers as readers.