Art Fund helps museums and galleries in a number of ways:
- Providing museums and curators with funding for: acquisitions; training and development; and the display of art through tours and exhibitions.
- Running public appeals when a particular work of art is under threat. Most recently, we ran a successful campaign to raise £3.5m to save Derek Jarman’s Prospect Cottage; in 2014 we helped save one of the most important industrial archives in the world, the Wedgwood Collection, which documents the evolution of ceramics design over 250 years. Through major appeals like these we have raised moare than £45m to save works of art or collections.
- Promoting hundreds of UK museums and galleries through the National Art Pass.
- Providing museums and galleries with the chance to fundraise for individual projects through Art Happens, our crowdfunding platform.
- Helping museums share and show collections, by supporting tours and exhibitions such as ARTIST ROOMS, a nationwide tour of post-war and contemporary art.
- Campaigning and advocacy work: we lobbied behind the scenes for free entry to national museums, and more recently for tax incentives to encourage philanthropy.
- Through the Art Fund Museum of the Year, we celebrate the very best museums and galleries in the country.